House of Broadcasting Board of directors
- The July 2023 HOBI Board meeting was held on at noon on Thursday, July 20 at the Morrison residence. Board members in attendance were: Mary Morrison, Thomas Mihalchick, Sofia Wong, Pat McMahon, and Maurie Helle.
- Topics on the agenda included:
- Chandler Museum: continuing efforts to obtain a display on the history of Valley radio at the Chandler Museum, and a report on the meeting held on June 28 with reps from the Chandler Museum
- Holiday Concert: Scheduled for Friday, December 9, 2023 at the same location as the past nine years. This will be the 1oth annual concert. Pat McMahon has guaranteed that a Ladmo Bag will be presented to an attendee at the concert. Producer/writer/Director Maurie Helle is still working on firming up the performing talent and more information will be provided. So far Laurie Fagen has confirmed that she will perform. Tickets are still $15 per person and will be available for sale at a later date.
- Museum additions: Mary Morrison reported that she has contacted a number of area museums regarding the opportunity for HOBI to present a display, but has received word from only one museum, which does not have the space available.
- University Club: Board member Thomas Mihalchick has been in contact with the University Club in Phoenix regarding the placement of historical phots from the HOBI archive in the restaurant. A meeting will be scheduled for him to meet with the General Manager and make determinations about the photos. It was generally decided that the meeting could wait until cooler weather prevails in the Fall.
- E-Newsletter: At the request of Mary Morrison, Thomas Mihalchick has constructed a sample e-newsletter to be emailed to the HOBI mailing list sometime in September, 2023. The content will need to be approved by President Mary Morrison before distribution.
- Sunnyslope Historical Society: The HOBI display at the museum has ended and been taken down. The Museum reported that our display was very popular and garnered many positive comments from visitors. At this meeting, the Board reviewed Sunnyslope’s Quarterly Newsletter. HOBI Board member Pat McMahon and Phoenix artist, Lou Crandall, Jr. are celebrating Legend City’s 60th anniversary at the Sunnyslope Museum on Saturday, September 2nd, 2023 from 10 to 11:30 a.m. At this celebration, Pat McMahon will be giving an attendee a Legend City t-shirt. The presentation is free to attend.
- Web Plan: The Board has had discussions about “podcast” interviews conducted by Board member, Judy Schriener at past meetings. Ms. Schriener was not able to attend the July meeting to report on progress regarding this topic, but the Board discussed possible interviewers and interviewees and format for the “podcasts” which would be placed on the HOBI website.
- Retirement Homes: Board member Susan Baker has been involved with the possibility of scheduling presentations by Board members at a variety of retirement homes. Ms. Baker was not able to attend the July meeting, so was unable to report on progress in this topic.
- Libraries: Board member Lynda Gallagher has been exploring an opportunity for HOBI to display at the Burton Barr Public Library in Phoenix. Ms. Gallagher was not able to attend the July meeting to report on progress on this topic.
- Sad News: Discussion and remembrances on the passing of Andy Limber, and advertising executive with ties to many HOBI friends.
- Miscellaneous: The “On Air” display at the Arizona Historical Society in Tempe was mentioned in the Phoenix Magazine calendar in the July/August 2023 issue. In the same issue under the “Best of he Valley”, Aunt Maud was mentioned as the “Best Gubernatorial Candidate” with Pat McMahon’s Aunt Maud photo. The Board also noted the passing of Jack Curtis, who used to write music columns for the Arizona Republic and at one time had a TV show on Channel 3. He was 88 years old.
The next Board meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 14, 2023 at the Morrison residence. There will be no August meeting.
- The June 2023 Board meeting was held at the Morrison residence at noon on Thursday, June 15. Topics discussed included:
- Chandler Museum: discussion surrounding HOBI's upcoming meeting with representatives of the Chandler Museum regarding a possible exhibit on the history of radio in the Valley of the Sun from the 1920's through the 1980's. Board members Susan Baker, Dr. John Craft, and Thomas Mihalchick have taken on this task.
- Retirement Homes: We are attempting to schedule several HOBI members as guest speakers at area retirement homes, specifically Thomas M.'s presentation on "The Golden Age of Radio". Geri Rosatto is working on this, along with Thomas M.
- Museum additions: a look at a list of area museums that HOBI could place an exhibit. Mary Morrison has been in contact with a number of museums, is awaiting a response from several.
- Libraries: report from Lynda Gallgher on a response from the Burton Barr Library regarding a HOBI display. No report given as Lynda did not attend the meeting. Postponed until July meeting.
- University Club: report from Thomas M. regarding efforts to place historical photos from the HOBI collection at the University Club in Phoenix.
- Web Plan: Report from Judy Schriener regarding "webcasts" - interviews with local broadcasting legends. No report, as Judy did not attend the meeting. Postponed until July meeting.
- Cronkite School Scholarship: recieved letter from ASU and a personal letter from Caleb Campero, our 2023 recipient. See more on our Recent Events page.
- Del Lewis: discussion of the legacy, and memorial for, Del Lewis. Several HOBI Board members attended the memorial. House of Broadcasting sent a $100 check to the Arizona Humane Society, as requested by his estate. Our next meeting is scheduled for noon, Thursday, July 20, 2023, at the Morrison residence.