SUSAN BAKER - Marketing Overload
JACK CLIFFORD - Clifford Consultant
DR. JOHN CRAFT - Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication
VICKI FIORELLI - Valley of the Sun United Way
LYNDA GALLEGHER - Retired, KPNX TV, Channel 12
TERRY GELLENBECK - Keep Phoenix Beautiful, City of Phoenix
STEVE GLUECK - Community Ascertainment Specialist, South Mountain Community Connections LLC
MAURIE HELLE - Helle International
WENDY HELLE - Fingerpaint Marketing
LISA HONEBRINK - Public Relations Consultant
CAROL KANNES - HOBI Board Member
PAT MCMAHON - Arizona Daily Mix, AZTV
THOMAS MIHALCHICK - Retired, Radio/TV Teacher
MARY MORRISON - Mary M Media
GERI ROSATO - Retired, MS, RN
JUDY SCHRIENER - Author, Journalist, Consultant
POLLY SCHUMACHER - Retired, KTVK-TV3
SOPHIA WONG - Retired, KTVK-TV3
L-R: Mary Morrison, Thomas MIhalchick, Susan Baker, Maurie Helle, Lynda Gallagher, Pat McMahon. Not Shown: Judy Schriener
The March meeting was held on thursday, March 16 at the Morrison residence. Those attending included Susan Baker, Lynda Gallagher, Maurie Helle, Pat McMahon, Thomas Mihalchick, Judy Schriener, and Mary Morrison. Topics discussed included: The ending of the ON AIR display at the Tempe Historical Society in July; the HOBI display at teh Sunnyslope HIstorical Society Museum and the presentation on The Golden Age of Radio by board member Thomas MIhalchick; efforts to secure a display at the Chandler museum; recording and posting interviews with Valley radio personalities; the possibility of applying for grants. The next meeting is scheduled for April 20, 2023.
On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 HOBI Board of Directors members attended the ASU Walter Cronkite luncheon to award CBS Morning Show co-host Gayle King the Walter Cronkite Excellence in Journalism Award. She is the 39th recipient of the award.
Board members attending were: Dr, John Craft, Mary Morrison, Thomas Mihalchick, Susan Baker (not shown), Pat McMahon (not shown), and Judy Schriener (not shown). Each board member had a picture taken with Ms. King.
The February 2023 meeting was held at the Morrison residence on the 16th at noon. The Board members who attended were: Susan Baker, John Craft, Maurie Helle, Tom Mihalchick, Mary Morrison, Geri Rosato, Polly Schumacher, and Sofia Wong (no photo available).
The topics discussed included:
- Feedback from the 2022 Holiday Concert - compliments continue to come in, but attendance is not as good as we would like.
- Board member Thomas Mihalchick's presentation on "The Golden Age of Radio" at the Sunnyslope Historical Society, Saturday, March 18, 2023
- Possible House of Broadcasting display at the Chandler Historical Society Museum. Susan Baker and Thomas MIhalchick are working with the museum to bring this about
- discussion of possible HOBI recognition on the website of deserving radio broadcasters, similar to the NATAS Silver and Gold Circles. Further discussion is necessary.
- Discussion of applying for grants to HOBI.
- Congrats to Pat McMahon for the article in the February 16, 2023 Arizona Republic regarding the showing of classic Wallace & Ladmo shows on channel 7, Sundays at 4:00 p.m.
The Board met at the Morrison residence on January 19, 2023. Board members in attendance were:
Dr. John Craft
Topics discussed included:
* Election of officers
* The December 2022 Holiday Concert
* HOBI at Arizona Histporical Museum
* Pat McMahon at the Sunnyslope Historical Museum
* Miscellaneous items
January 2023 Board meeting
January 2023 Board meeting
Annual elections were held at the January 2023 meeting. Results are as follows:
President - Mary Morrison
1st Vice President - Thomas MIhalchick
2nd Vice President - Lynda Gallagher
Secretary - Polly Schumacher
Comptroller - Wendy Helle
The Board wishes to thank Bill Lewis, Dave Munsey, Steve Glueck, and the Melikian family for the generous donations they made to House of Broadcasting.
The Board met on Wednesday, December 14 at the Morrison residence. The meeting included a recap of the Holiday Concert. The Board discussed comments from attendees and made recommendations for the 2023 Holiday Concert. Plans were begun for this year's show
No meeting was held due to preperations for the Holiday Concert
The Board met on October 27, 2022 at the Morrison residence. Topics discussed included:
* HOBI's display at the Sunnyslope museum.
* Pat McMahon's Wallace and Ladmo show presentation at the Sunnyslope Museum scheduled for January 21, 2023.
* The "Living Legends of Broadcasting" Holiday Concert, December 9, 2022
* The Professor John Craft Scholarship at ASU's Cronkite School.
No meeting is scheduled for November.
L-R: Mary Morrison, Sofia Wong, John Craft, Pat McMahon, Lynda Gallagher, Thomas Mihalchick, Polly Schumacher. Not Pictured: Judy Schreiner
The Board met on Thursday, September 29th at Mary Morrison's home. The agenda included a discussion of our traveling display at the Sunnyslope museum. The museum's director is happy with the display. The Board also discussed getting a display in the Chandler, AZ museum. Board members Susan Baker and Thomas MIhalchick will be working on that task. The Board was presented with an update on the upcoming Holiday Concert, scheduled for December 9th. At this time, the list of performers and the list of prizes for the raffle and silent auction are still being finalized. It was decided to name the concert "Living Legends Holiday Concert". Tickets will be available for sale beginning October 29, 2022.
The next meeting is scheduled for October 27, 12:00 p.m. at the Morrison residence. Board members in attendance included: Mary Morrison, Pat McMahon, Geri Rosato, Maurie Helle, Lynda Gallagher, Thomas Mihalchick, Sofia Wong, and Dr. John Craft. No photo is available.
The Board met on Tuesday, August 23rd at the Phoenix Cafe & Grille. We had a packed agenda that included: congratulations to Dr. John Craft on receiving the Governor's Award, our display at the Arizona Historical Society that was mentioned in an article in the July/August 2022 issue of PHOENIX MAGAZINE, the upcoming Holiday Concert, an upcoming display at the Sunnyslope Museum, our ASU Walter Cronkite HOBI award winner, a donation of equipment from Mike Watkiss (former TV3 reporter), and a recap of the year's activities so far. No meeting was held in July.
Learn more on the HOBI News page.
HOBI Board at August 2022 meeting. L-R: Geri Rosato, Mary Morrison, Dr. John Craft, Polly Schumacher, Lynda Gallagher, Susan Baker, Scott Hanson (guest) Sophia Wong, Judy Schreiner, Thomas MIhalchick, Maurie Helle
The June 2022 Board meeting was held at the Beatitudes, 1610 W. Glendale Avenue in Phoenix . Board member and Beatitudes resident Geri Rosato had arranged for a presentation and booksigning by Board member Dr. John Craft with copies of the book "Phoenix Television" that he co-authored. The Board enjoyed a wonderful meal at Buckwald's Restaurant - Geri and Beatitudes were kind enough to host us … custom lunch with dessert. Then we went into the Grand Hall and no matter how many times we hear John Craft we learn something new and exciting. Whoever joined us were enthused. Don’t forget - NO- HOBI Board meeting in July. Thursday, August 18 - 12 Noon is the next one.
L-R: Pat McMahon, Lynda Gallagher, Polly Schumacher, Maurie Helle
L-R: JIm West (guest), Mary Morrison, Dr. John Craft. Sophia Wong, Geri Rosato, Susan Baker, (not shown, Thomas MIhalchick)
At the May 19, 2022 meeting at the Morrison residence, the HOBI board discussed a variety of topics including:
1. Our display at the Arizona Historical Society (AHS)
2. An article in the Arizona Republic entitled "A History of Phoenix and the Emergence of TV Stations" by Donna Reiner. The article encourages readers to visit the display at AHS. The Board was given Ms. Reiner's name by Geri Rosato, HOBI Board Member.
3. Plans for the 2022 Holiday Concert
4. The upcoming booksigning and presentation by HOBI Board Member, Dr. John Craft. The booksigning and presentation will take plaace at The Beatitudes, 1610 W Glendale Ave, Phoenix, AZ on Friday, June 10 at 1:00 p.m.
5. Plans for a display at the Sunnyslope Museum, the Burton Barr Library, and other locations
6. The retirement of, and the party for, Dr, John Craft after 49 years teaching at Arizona State University (see photos below). The Board presented Dr. Craft with a cake and a card.
Board members in attendance were: Dr. John Craft, Maurie Helle, Pat McMahon, Thomas MIhalchick, Mary Morrison, Geri Rosato, and Sophia Wong. We were joined by John Melikian, whose family donates to, and supports The House of Broadcasting.
L-R Thomas MIhalchichick, Sophia Wong, Mary Morrison, Geri Rosato, Pat McMahon, Dr, John Craft.
Not shown: Maurie Helle
L-R: John Melikian, Sophia Wong, Mary Morrison, Geri Rosato, Pat McMahon, Dr. Jon Craft. Not shown, Maurie Helle, Thomas MIhalchick
Congratulations HOBI Board member Dr. John Craft
Dr. John E. Craft has taught in the broadcast area of the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications since 1973, thus making him the senior member of the Cronkite faculty. During that time, he has taught courses in broadcast production, direction, station operations, announcing, and documentary, and telecommunication management courses such as Introduction to Broadcasting, Broadcast Programming, Media Sales, Cable Television, and Telecommunication Management, as well as graduate classes in Philosophy of Journalism, Broadcast News History, and International Communication. He has served as Coordinator of the Management Sequence and was the Director of Graduate Studies for more than a dozen years. In that position he taught graduate courses in Media Ethics and Mass Media and Society as well as leading the School’s graduate program to a number eight ranking in the nation in the U.S. News and World Report on Best Graduate Schools.John was recently honored by the Cronkite Faculty. A retirement party was held on May 6. He is currently a Board Member of the House of Broadcasting Radio & Television Museum as well as several other Boards.
At the April 21, 2022 HOBI Board meeting at the Morrison residence, the HOBI Board discussed a variety of topics including:
1. Our display at the Arizona Historical Society (AHS)
2. Arizona Gives Day - Thanks to donors, HOBI collected $4, 478.00 for this year.
3. 2022 Holiday Concert - discussion of date and location
4. Opportunities for additional displays and presentations
5. Possible museum location in Scottsdale
6. Report on the 4/15/22 Hugh Downs school at ASU, and HOBI Award winner
7. Upcoming retirement party for HOBI Board Member, Dr. John Craft from ASU
8. Remembrances of deceased newsman Kent Dana
At the March 24, 2022 HOBI Board meeting at the Morrison residence, the HOBI Board discussed a variety of topics including:1. Our display at the Arizona Historical Society (AHS) and the Grand Opening on February 24, 20222. Website and Facebook updates3. 2022 Holiday Concert - discussion of date and location4. Arizona Gives Day - coming up on April 6. 2022
5. Brian Cisek - support material on his behalf for NATAS Silver Circle Award
The Board met at the Arizona Historical Society's Pre-Opening Celebration on the evening of February 24, 2022. See photos of the event on our On Air Gala Photos page
The HOBI Board met on Thursday, January 13th at the home of Mary Morrison. Our agenda included:
1. Celebrating the success of our 8th Annual Holiday Concert, held on December 3, 2021,
2. Discussing the upcoming exhibit at the Arizona Historical Society Museum,
3. Arizona Gives Day, coming up on April 6, 2022, and
4. Recording part two of Pat McMahon's contribution (currently in progress) to our Life Before HOBI page.
from L-R: Pat McMahon, Maurie Helle, Lynda Gallagher, Polly Schumacher, Mary Morrision. Not pictured, Thomas MIhalchick
from L-R: Thomas MIhalchick, Polly Schumacher, Pat McMahon, Maurie Helle, Marry Morrison
September 16, 2021: The Board met at the HD South Museum at 10 South Gilbert Road in Gilbert. We had a tour of the museum lead by CEO Denise Lopez and viewed the first HOBI Traveling Broadcast Museum (see pictures below). We also heard Board member Lynda Gallagher tell us her story of "Life Before HOBI". That will be posted on our Life Before HOBI page soon. Pictured at left are board members (L-R) Maurie Helle, Sofia Wong, Polly Schumacher, Lynda Gallagher, Mary Morrison, Susan Baker, and Tom MIhalchick. Not pictured: Geri Rosato.
HOBI BOARD MEMBERS AT THEIR WORKING LUNCH FOR THE JULY 2021 MEETING. THANK YOU MARY MORRISON FOR HOSTING US.
BOARD MEMBERS WHO ATTENDED THE JUNE 2021 MONTHLY MEETING. THANKS TO THE REFUGE RESTAURANT FOR HOSTING US.
HOBI BOARD MEMBERS AT THE APRIL 2021 MEETING. THANK YOU MARY MORRISON FOR HOSTING US.
HOBI BOARD OF DIRECTORS AT THEIR WORKING LUNCH, OCTOBER 2020, AT THE MORRISON RESIDENCE
HOBI BOARD HARD AT WORK IN SEPTEMBER 2019. THANK YOU REFUGE RESTAURANT FOR HOSTING US!
MARCH 2019 MONTHLY MEETING AT THE PHOENIX ZOO
On a beautiful Thursday, March 14, 2019, Board members John Craft. Lynda Gallagher, Tony Martin, Lisa Honebrink, Pat McMahon, Geri Rosato, Polly Schumacher, Judy Schriener, and Mary Morrison had their monthly meeting at the Phoenix Zoo - They visited the Wallace and Ladmo bronze statue, sitting near the rest area. A plaque will be placed soon. How wonderful to be sitting not the bench of the statue with the living legend Gerald, aka Pat McMahon.
HOBI BOARD MEMBERS AT THEIR WORKING LUNCH FOR THE MARCH 2021 MEETING. THANK YOU MARY MORRISON FOR HOSTING US.
HOBI BOARD MEMBERS HARD AT WORK IN SEPTEMBER 2020. THANK YOU, PHOENIX CITY GRILLE, FOR HOSTING US!